If you run a hair salon, knowing how people hear about your salon can help you grow your business. By knowing and understanding your main sources for new customers, you can create a marketing and advertising plan that targets those markets. Today, a lot of marketing is done online and websites are a great source of information for people who are seeking out goods and services. A website for your salon can be a great marketing technique. We did a recent poll of people who visit hair salons and we learned that the following ways are the most common ways for people to learn about and try out a new hair salon.
1) Search engines/websites: A lot of people who are looking for a new hair salon will simply do a quick Google search or a search on another search engine to find a highly ranked hair salon near them.
2) Social media: Many people claimed to hear about a new hair salon through social media advertisements, or through friends who post about their hair salon via social media. Hair salons can incorporate social media into their online marketing strategies and post advertisements, specials, and general information about their hair salon to encourage people to come and visit their salon. Social media campaigns can be a great way to raise awareness and get more people to visit your salon. Something simple like asking people to ‘like’ your page and receive $5 off their first haircut is an easy way to bring new people in (by offering a promotion), and by gaining more visibility online by having more ‘likes’ on your page.
3) Review sites: By searching on the internet, many people also will visit sites which offer reviews of hair salons. A great marketing tip for a salon is to include reviews on your website, which allows people to read the reviews directly on your website instead of having to seek out reviews on another site, such as yelp. People who use these review sites can search by location and enter certain keywords to find a salon which meets your needs. Additionally, some of these sites allow businesses to post promotions directly on the review site, which means that this can be a great way to draw people into your salon.
4) Website promotions: When people search via a search engine and go you your salons website, putting a promotion right on the homepage will encourage people to choose your salon over other competitors. You can offer something simple, like $5 off a visit, a free makeup consultation along with a hairstyle, or a free neck and shoulder massage with your purchase of a haircut. Many people said that they visited a new salon because they found a promotion like one of these through the salons website.
5) Email promotions: If people are on some kind of a mailing list for deals in your area (like groupon), you will periodically receive deals for haircuts in your area.
All of these sources are web-based, which just show the importance of having a salon marketing campaign that incorporates digital technology.